A trio of new race days have been approved for the 2023 World Pool calendar by the Hong Kong SAR government, the Hong Kong Jockey Club (HKJC) announced on Thursday.
The HKJC applied for Newmarket's Sun Chariot S. Day on Oct. 7, Turnbull S. Day at Flemington that same day, and Cox Plate Day at Moonee Valley on Oct. 28 to be added to the schedule. A total of four races will be world pool events at Newmarket that day, while five races at Flemington have been added to the global betting opportunities earlier in the day. Cox Plate Day features nine World Pool races. The full schedule is as follows:
- Sept. 9 – Irish Champion S. Day (full card)
- Oct. 7 – Turnbull S. Day (partial card)
- Oct. 7 – Sun Chariot S. Day (partial card)
- Oct. 8 – Gran Premio Latinoamericano (single race)
- Oct. 14 – The Everest Day (partial card)
- Oct. 21 – Caulfield Cup Day (partial card)
- Oct. 21 – British Champions Day (full card)
- Oct. 28 – Cox Plate Day (partial card)
- Nov. 4 – Victoria Derby Day (full card)
Michael Fitzsimons, Executive Director, Wagering Products, at the HKJC, said, “Having Turnbull S. Day and Cox Plate Day from Australia added to the World Pool calendar is a great boost. Both cards will be full of quality and of great interest to punters around the globe, particularly with the likelihood of Hong Kong star Romantic Warrior (Ire) being aimed at the Cox Plate itself.
“We're delighted to have Sun Chariot S. Day at Newmarket confirmed too. That meeting takes place on the same day as the Turnbull S., marking the first time we've had a UK and Australian meeting commingled globally on the same day. We're then set for another double-header of World Pool days on 21 October with the Caulfield Cup at Moonee Valley and Champions Day at Ascot, so it's a very exciting time.”
For more information about the World Pool, please visit the HKJC website.