Edited Press Release
Owners of horses of racing age currently not nominated to the Breeders' Cup program can nominate their runners at discounted rates on or before Thursday, July 15 for competition in this year's Breeders' Cup World Championships, Nov. 5-6 at Del Mar. All horses must be nominated in order to compete in any of the 14 Breeders' Cup World Championship races. In addition, a Breeders' Cup-nominated horse is eligible to participate in all Breeders' Cup purse and awards programs for its entire racing career without any further nomination payments due.
The nomination discounts are as follows:
- Two-year-olds by a nominated Breeders' Cup stallion can join the program for US$12,000. This one-time nomination fee makes the racehorse Breeders' Cup-eligible for its entire racing career.
- Runners which are 3-year-olds and older that were foaled in the Northern Hemisphere and sired by a nominated stallion will receive a 50% discount off normal racehorse nomination fees. Three-year-olds and older which were born in the Southern Hemisphere can be nominated for 25% of their regular nomination fee.
- All nominated racehorses are eligible for the Breeders' Cup World Championships for their entire racing careers, which will have purses and awards totaling more than $31 million this year.
- A nominator award of $10,000 will be paid to the person nominating any racehorse that wins a Breeders' Cup “Win and You're In” Challenge Series Race.
- Nominator awards are paid through all finish positions in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Following the July 15 discount deadline, the price for all non-nominated runners reverts back to the standard racehorse nomination fee of US$100,000 or more until Oct. 25, when all runners must be pre-entered for the Breeders' Cup World Championships races.
Owners may nominate their horses of racing age online here or by calling the Breeders' Cup Racing department at (859) 514-9422.
Owners of horses of racing age by non-nominated stallions can also take advantage of discounted prices before July 15. Two-year-olds by non-nominated stallions can join the program for US$18,000; Northern Hemisphere 3-year-olds and older for US$100,000 and Southern Hemisphere 3-year-olds and older for US