Oaklawn Park has added nine stakes races to its 2022-23 season, bringing the total number of black-type events offered at the Hot Springs track to 45. In addition, purses to the stakes program have been bumped by $1.45 million for total stakes purses of $13.75 million, the highest in Oaklawn's history. The overall purse distribution for the season is projected to exceed $50 million. This will be the second consecutive year the Oaklawn racing season will begin in December.
The new Oaklawn stakes include:
- Dec. 10 Ring the Bell S. ($150,000)
- Dec. 31 Renaissance S. ($150,000)
- Dec. 31 Year's End S. ($150,000)
- Mar. 31 Matron S. ($250,000)
- Apr. 1 Hot Springs S. ($200,000)
- Apr. 22 Valley of the Vapors S. ($150,000)
- Apr. 29 Dig a Diamond S. ($150,000)
- May 5 Lake Ouachita S. ($150,000)
- May 6 Lake Hamilton S. ($150,000)
“We were pleased with how December racing was received last year, by both racing fans and horsemen,” said Oaklawn President Louis Cella. “Now, we're going to use our stakes schedule to build on that momentum.”
The 68-day season at Oaklawn will open Dec. 9, continue through May, and will feature the $1.25-million GI Arkansas Derby, as well as three $1-million races, including the Apr. 15 GI Apple Blossom H. Click here for the complete stakes schedule.