The finalists for the 2022 Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards in America have been announced, including three finalists in six of the seven categories, as well as the winner and runner-up of the Thoroughbred Industry Community Award–Jessica Hammond of the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, and Kyle Roper of CHI St. Vincent, respectively.
This year's Awards Ceremony will once again be hosted by Keeneland and will take place on Friday, Oct. 14. Finalists and their guest will be provided with travel and accommodation for out-of-town finalists, a tour of a local horse farm, dinner for finalists and their connections, and the Ceremony luncheon followed by an afternoon of racing at Keeneland.
Panel Chair Rogers Beasley commented, “Being a part of the Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards is more than an honor, it is the most meaningful program in the industry. Being able to recognize and reward these individuals who contribute so much to our industry is truly special. But all the nominees should be very proud of their accomplishments that prompted someone to nominate them and tell their story.”
“I'd also like to thank the National HBPA, TOBA, The Jockey Club, Breeders' Cup, and Godolphin, without whose underwriting and support these awards would not be possible to implement. Lastly, a heartfelt thanks to our media partners–BloodHorse Publications, The Thoroughbred Daily News, Daily Racing Form, TVG, Paulick Report, and America's Day at the Races–for helping to spread the reach of the awards.”
TIEA welcomed category sponsors for the first time in 2021 and all seven will be returning as sponsors again this year–Hallway Feeds, NTRA, Hagyard Equine Medical Institute, Keeneland, NYRA, I Am Horse Racing and Churchill Downs.
The winners of the Administration, Dedication to Breeding, Dedication to Racing, Leadership and Support Services Awards will receive a prize of $7,500, with an additional $2,500 awarded to the winner's team at their farm, stable or organization. The two runners-up in these categories will win $2,500 each, with $2,500 awarded to their farm, stable or organization.
The winner of the Newcomer Award will receive $2,000 and a five-day educational trip to Dubai, with $1,000 awarded to their team at their place of work. The two runners-up in this award will receive $1,000 each, and $1,000 will also be awarded to their farm, stable or organization.
The 2022 Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards finalists are:
• Katherine McKee Administration Award sponsored by Keeneland
• Darla Shoemaker Gaige (Charles Town HBPA)
• Blaire Eads (EQUIX)
• Angela Ramsey (Sequel Holdings)
Support Services Award sponsored by I Am Horse Racing
• Walter “Stretch” Johnson (Protravel International)
• Timothy Tullock, Jr. (Maryland Jockey Club)
• Laura Scheer (New York Racing Association)
Dedication to Breeding Award sponsored by Hallway Feeds
• Don Jenkins (Darby Dan Farm)
• Danny Mitchell (Denali Stud)
• Steve Holbrook (Coolmore America
Dedication to Racing Award sponsored by National Thoroughbred Racing Association
• Alice Clapham (Graham Motion)
• Felipe Pulido Mendoza (Richard Mandella)
• Danny Ramsey (McPeek Racing Stables)
Leadership Award sponsored by Hagyard Equine Medical Institute
• Matthew Zehnder (University of Kentucky Maine Chance Farm)
• Leanna Willaford (Bill Mott)
• Anne Eberhardt (BloodHorse Publications)
Newcomer Award sponsored by New York Racing Association
• Charles Churchill (Ed Brown Society and 1/ST Racing)
• Maddie Rowland (Elizabeth Merryman)
• Jonathan Estrada (David Donk)
Thoroughbred Industry Community Award sponsored by Churchill Downs
• Winner Jessica Hammond (Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association)
• Runner-up (Kyle Roper, CHI St. Vincent)