Del Mar Bans Desormeaux

|

Kent DesormeauxBenoit

Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux was take off his mount at Del Mar Friday by track management after an alleged altercation earlier in the week. The story was originally reported by the Daily Racing Form.

Del Mar officials did not provide specifics on the alleged incident, but Del Mar’s Josh Rubinstein said, “Our action is not related to racing, but rather is as a result of conduct not consistent with our standards and values.”

A California Horse Racing Board rule allows a racetrack to remove or deny “access for any reason deemed appropriate by the association.” The CHRB’s Mike Marten said, “The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club has provided the California Horse Racing Board with the information they relied upon. The CHRB is conducting its own investigation to determine if there were any rule violations that would require CHRB action with respect to Mr. Desormeaux’s license.:

Desormeaux’s agent J.R. Pegram refused to comment.

Not a subscriber? Click here to sign up for the daily PDF or alerts.