The Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (Alberta Division) outlined the new Mare Recruitment Program (MRP) offering incentives to mare owners who bring an in-foal mare to Alberta to foal in 2022. The criteria for the MRP program are:
- Breeders will receive a C$750 incentive for each in-foal mare brought to Alberta.
- The in-foal mare must not have foaled in Alberta in 2020-21. Mares that were eligible for the HBPA Mare Purchase Program are not eligible for the Program.
- Maiden mares are eligible for the MRP upon proof that mare resided outside of Alberta for at least 3 months in the last year.
- Breeders of an MRP eligible mare receive an additional $250 if, after foaling, the mare is bred to an Alberta sire during the 2022 breeding season.
- Not eligible are in-foal mares purchased in 2021 at recognized public auctions including Wannamaker's Online Sale, Fasig-Tipton November Breeding Stock Sale, Keeneland November Breeding Stock Sale, Keeneland January Horses of All Ages Sale, OBS Winter Mixed Sale, Fasig-Tipton Midatlantic Winter Mixed Sale and Fasig-Tipton Kentucky Winter Mixed Sale.
The deadline for submission of applications is May 31st, 2022. For more info., www.cthsalta.com/marerecruitmentprogram.