At its most recent meeting in Tucson, AZ, the Association of Racing Commissioners International (ARCI), approved 10 amendments to the Model Rules.
The Amendments approved are:
· Amendment to ARCI-011-020 MEDICATIONS AND PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES (E) which prohibits the administration of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory medications to horses within 48 hours of a race
· Amendment to ARCI-011-020 MEDICATIONS AND PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES (F) wherein a horse is ineligible to race in a flat race for 14 days after an intra-articular joint injection
· Amendment to ARCI-010-030 HORSES INELIGIBLE (10) wherein any horse in flat or jump racing will be ineligible to race if it has received an intra-articularinjection in the preceding 14 days and stacking is prohibited
· Amendment to ARCI-011-015 PROHIBITED PRACTICES by adding a new subsection prohibiting the use of bisphosphonates in any horse younger than 4. The bisphosphonatesmust be FDA approved, administered according to instructions, and only used to treat navicular disease
· Amendment to ARCI-011-020 MEDICATIONS AND PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES (B) by dramatically increasing penalties considered to be violations in “doping” and “equine endangerment”
· Amendment to ARCI-010-020 WEIGHTS by altering weight allowances for jockeys riding 3-year-olds facing older horses and for 3-year-old horses facingolder horses
· Amendment to ARCI-011-015 PROHIBITED PRACTICES (6C), by adding subsection (D) outlining under which circumstances other than laboratory testing a horse’sblood can be drawn and by adding subsection (F) prohibiting chemical or immunocastration
· Amendment to ARCI-004-024 (K) PARI-MUTUEL WAGERING by adding language to address wagering opportunities in races with three or more horses.
A proposed amendment to ARCI-010-035 RUNNING OF THE RACE–USE OF THE RIDING CROP (E) was referred to the Rider and Driver Safety Committee to be considered along with alternative proposals being submitted.