Santa Anita Cancels Presidents' Day Card

With a forecast calling for significant rainfall, officials at Santa Anita Park have canceled Monday's Presidents' Day program at the track. The nine-race program on Sunday will proceed as scheduled, with a first post at 12:30 p.m. PT. The track will remain open Monday for simulcasting in the Grandstand Paddock Room beginning at 10 a.m., with free parking and admission. Races carded for Monday, including the $100,000 Tiznow S., will be offered as extras on the overnights for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 23-25. Similarly rainy conditions forced the cancellation...

[ Read More ]
Laurel Cancels Sunday Racing

Having already lost the live racing program Saturday to wintry weather conditions, officials from the Maryland Jockey Club has also cancelled live racing for Sunday. The next scheduled program is Friday, Jan. 26, which is set to featuer the $100,000 What a Summer S. and the $100,000 Fire Plug S., each of which was originally programmed for the Jan. 20 card. The season's first 3-year-old stakes will take place next Saturday, Jan. 27, with the running of the $100,000 Xtra Heat S. for fillies and the Spectacular Bid S. for...

[ Read More ]
Wintry Weather Forces Oaklawn Cancellation

A combination of snow, rain and freezing temperatures over the course of the weekend prompted officials at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas, to cancel Sunday's live racing program after the opening race of the afternoon. "At Oaklawn, the safety of our equine and human athletes will always take priority," said track president Louis Cella. "In consultation with our jockeys, horsemen, and outside engineers, we chose to cancel the remainder of the card so that we can prepare for next week's racing, highlighted by Saturday's Mockingbird S." Racing is expected...

[ Read More ]
Monmouth At Meadowlands Canceled for Saturday

Edited Press Release The all-turf Monmouth-at-Meadowlands card scheduled for tonight, Saturday, Oct. 7, has been canceled due to inclement weather, track officials announced. The final two live racing days of the abbreviated meet will take place next Friday and Saturday Oct. 13 and 14. First race post time both nights is 7 p.m. for the six-race cards. When racing does resume on Friday, there will be a single jackpot Pick 6 carryover of $21,920. If there is not a single ticket winner that night there will be a mandatory payout...

[ Read More ]
Woodbine Cancels Due To Heat

Due to extreme high temperatures forecast for the greater Toronto metropolitan area, the live racing program scheduled for Monday at Woodbine has been cancelled. The decision was made in consultation with the local HBPA and the commissioned veterinarian. According to a release, the track will endeavor to make up for the lost races over the next few live racing days. Live racing is scheduled to return on Thursday, September 7, with first post scheduled for 4:50 p.m. ET.

[ Read More ]
Del Mar Cancels Sunday Racing In Advance of Hurricane

With Hurricane Hilary approaching from the south over the next 24-48 hours, officials at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club announced early Saturday morning that the live racing program scheduled for Sunday would be canceled. "For the safety of everyone involved--our horses, our riders and all the workers, staff and fans--we have made the decision to cancel Sunday's races," DMTC President and COO Josh Rubinstein said Saturday morning. "Unfortunately, the forecast calls for substantial rain and winds that appear to be headed our way. We are hopeful this will only be...

[ Read More ]
Colonial Downs Cancels Live Racing Friday Due to Heat

Virginia's Colonial Downs has cancelled its Friday's card due to an excessive heat forecast. The National Weather Service is predicting heat indices for Friday ranging from 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit, numbers that examine the combined effects of temperature, wind speed, and humidity. Thursday's nine-card will still be run as scheduled with a first post of 1:30 p.m. ET. Friday's card will be brought back as drawn on Wednesday, Aug. 2. Post time will be 1:30 p.m. Officials at Colonial Downs came to the decision jointly with the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and...

[ Read More ]
Gulfstream Cancels Thursday And Friday Cards Due To Weather

Gulfstream Park cancelled live racing Thursday and Friday due to a series of storms that trained over the area Wednesday--resulting in record rainfall throughout the area along with flooded roads. More rain is expected in the area on the cancelled days. Racing is scheduled to resume Saturday with a first post of 12:40 pm.

[ Read More ]
With Rain Ongoing, Santa Anita Cancels Friday Racing

Due to ongoing inclement weather, Santa Anita has cancelled their Friday race card. Track officials said racing will continue as scheduled on Saturday and Sunday. Santa Anita will add a race day next week to make up for the cancellation. The track remains open for simulcasting on Friday.

[ Read More ]
Santa Anita Cancels Saturday Card

With a 100% probability of rain for this coming Saturday, officials at Santa Anita Park have announced the cancellation of the day's eight-race program. Following discussions with the California Thoroughbred Trainers, Thoroughbred Owners of California and the California Horse Racing Board, the races originally scheduled for Saturday will be offered as extras for Sunday, Monday (holiday racing) and Friday, Jan. 20. The GIII La Canada S. is currently listed as an extra for Sunday. Friday, Jan. 20 was meant to be a dark day given Monday's MLK-day program. "With the...

[ Read More ]
Woodbine Cancels Most of Sunday's Card

Woodbine Entertainment was forced to cancel races 3-10 on Sunday's card at the Etobicoke track due to inclement weather. The first two races were conducted under "clear" weather, according to the Equibase charts, but a significant amount of snow was on the ground and the Weather Network said up to 15 more inches of lake-effect snow could fall before the end of the day. The temperature was listed at -5 degrees in Celsius, or approximately 23 degrees in Fahrenheit. Live racing is scheduled to resume Thursday, Nov. 24.

[ Read More ]
Kentucky Downs Forced To Abandon Card

The Sunday program at Kentucky Downs, which was set to feature the GIII AGS Ladies' Marathon S., was called off following the day's second race owing to deteriorating weather conditions. According to a tweet from officials, the final nine races from Sunday will be contested Tuesday, Sept. 13, with first post at 12:25 p.m. CT. The races will not be redrawn, but a new program will be created. All scratches are back in. The last of seven scheduled days of live racing is set for Wednesday, Sept. 14, at 12:25...

[ Read More ]

Never miss another story from the TDN

Click Here to sign up for a free subscription.