Windsor Weather Concerns Could Divert Constitution Hill to Kempton

Constitution Hill | Adam Houghton

The G3 William Hill September Stakes at Kempton has emerged as a potential target for Constitution Hill (Blue Bresil) in the event that the current dry spell prevents him from taking up his intended engagement at Windsor later this month.

Unbeaten in two starts on the Flat, Constitution Hill was last sighted on a racecourse in March when winning a novice event over the same course and distance as the September Stakes, with an intended outing at Newbury the following month having to be shelved due to the prospect of fast ground.

The Listed Weatherbys Digital Solutions August Stakes – which takes place at Windsor on Saturday, August 29 – remains plan A for the one-time outstanding hurdler, according to trainer Nicky Henderson, with the September Stakes then set to come under consideration should conditions at Windsor delay the nine-year-old's return from a midsummer break.

“The Windsor date has to be a considerable worry,” said Henderson. “It is where we would prefer to be, but the good thing is the following weekend we have the September Stakes at Kempton. We might just have to wait a week and go there.

“It's a good scenario and it's nice to have a backup plan the following week. It doesn't effect his preparations and, if he's ready for one, he's ready for the other. An extra week isn't going to change things and he won't go over the top, I can assure you!

“Windsor is watered, so it doesn't need as much rain as the National Hunt tracks do. If we did get two or three days of heavy rain, then it could still be possible Windsor will be safe. But it's good to have Kempton there – we'll have to wait and see.”

Staged on the all-weather at Kempton, the September Stakes attracted a star-studded field last year when the Group 1 winners Giavellotto (Mastercraftsman) and Kalpana (Study Of Man) fought out the finish, while the great Enable (Nathaniel) also features on the recent roll of honour, having been successful in both 2018 and 2020.

Constitution Hill's only other entry as things stand is in the G1 Comer Group International Irish St. Leger at the Curragh, which takes place only eight days after the September Stakes.

Henderson added, “Going to Kempton would stop us going to Ireland, as it would all come on top of him a little bit, but we've lots of alternatives. After his next run he'll be eligible to run in handicaps as well, so there will be lots of options.

“Everyone is really happy with him and his work has been good. We're on course, touch wood.”

Not a subscriber? Click here to sign up for the daily PDF or alerts.

Copy Article Link

Liked this article? Read more like this.

  1. Henderson Considering Options for Constitution Hill from New BHA Mark of 108
  2. Henderson Upbeat, Despite Constitution Hill's September Fourth
  3. Big Players Out For Weekend Starfest
  4. Billy Loughnane Booked for Coveted Mount in Star-Studded September Stakes
  5. September Date for Constitution Hill with Windsor Run Off the Cards
X

Never miss another story from the TDN

Click Here to sign up for a free subscription.