Edited Press Release
The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) will welcome members of the Organization of Racing Investigators (ORI) to Aqueduct Racetrack for its annual conference, which begins on Mar. 27 and continues through Mar. 30. Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, this will mark the first ORI conference since 2020.
U.S. Rep. Paul D. Tonko, a co-sponsor of the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act, will be the keynote speaker of this year's event. Congressman Tonko will be joined by a number of experts and racing executives, who will address ORI membership on a variety of issues.
Registration for ORI members is available here.
NYRA is the Presenting Sponsor of the 2022 ORI conference, with additional sponsorship from the Breeders' Cup, 1/ST Racing, New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association (NYTHA), American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA), Thoroughbred Idea Foundation (TIF), Penn National Gaming, The Jockey Club and Greenwood Gaming and Entertainment.
“The work of the members of the Organization of Racing Investigators is critical to ensuring safety and integrity in the sport of horse racing, and we thank NYRA for hosting us,” said ORI Chairman Jean Claude Jaramillo, an Equine Investigator Specialist at NYRA. “This is an important opportunity to share best practices and hear directly from nationally recognized experts.”
In addition to Rep. Tonko's address, presentations are expected to include:Tonko
- NYRA Security Operations – John Clyne, Senior Director, Security, NYRA
- Stewarding in New York State – Braulio Baeza, Jr., State Steward, New York State Gaming Commission
- Jockey Club Industry Initiatives – Kristin Werner, Senior Counsel, The Jockey Club
- Joint Treatments in the Competition Horse – Dr. Scott Palmer, DVM, Equine Medical Director, New York State Gaming Commission
- From the Finish Line to FedEx: Testing Sample Integrity – Leasa Johnson, Chief Investigator, New Mexico Racing Commission
- Examples of Pool Manipulation and Grey/Illegal Market Betting – Patrick Cummings, Executive Director – Thoroughbred Idea Foundation
- Corporate Protocols – Dr. Dionne Benson, DVM, JD, Chief Veterinary Officer, 1/ST Racing
- Media Training* – Patrick McKenna, Vice President, Communications, NYRA
- Understanding Microchips and Digital Certificates* – Teena Appleby, Technician Operations & Investigations, Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau
- Racehorse Aftercare Awareness* – Richard E. Schosberg, Trainer & President of the Take2/Take The Lead Thoroughbred Retirement Program
- Interference Rules and Protocols: Consistency in Decisions* – Braulio Baeza, Jr., State Steward (NYSGC), Brook Hawkins (NYRA Steward), Dr. Jennifer Durenberger (Jockey Club Steward)
- Concussion Protocols and Return to Ride* – Patricia Morrison, Premise Health
- ORI Membership Business Meeting
*Racing Officials Accreditation Program (ROAP) Points of Emphasis agenda item