Baffert Team Will Fight If Banned From Preakness

|

Baffert and Medina Spirit on Sunday morning | Coady photo

By

While awaiting word from the Maryland Jockey Club concerning the status of Bob Baffert and Medina Spirit (Protonico) for the GI Preakness S., Baffert's lawyer Craig Robertson said he will seek a temporary restraining order if Medina Spirit is not allowed to run.

His status became unclear Sunday when Baffert informed the media that he had been told by the Kentucky Racing Commission that Medina Spirit had tested positive for the corticosteroid betamethasone in tests conducted following the race. A few hours later, 1/ST, the owners of Pimlico, put out a press release stating they were still reviewing the situation. They bought themselves a bit of time when deciding to move the draw for the Preakness from Monday to Tuesday.

“Pimlico has not taken such action yet, Robertson said in a text message. “However, if they do, I will file such a TRO. There is something called due process of law and any rush to judgment or punishment at this point would be premature and unlawful. If anyone takes such action before the split comes back, we will act.”

Baffert told the TDN that he will not, no matter his personal status, be attending the Preakness.

The Kentucky Racing Commission has had little to say about the matter, which probably won't change until after a second lab has tested a split sample. Robertson has already set the ball in motion regarding the testing of the split sample.

“We will be given a list of labs by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission from which we can chose to send the split,” he said via text. “That list has not been provided yet. No definitive time frame, but past experience tells me that from this moment until split results come back will be at least a couple of weeks.”

Not a subscriber? Click here to sign up for the daily PDF or alerts.

Exit Box x