Horsepeople across all racing breeds of horses in the province of Ontario have come together to form the Horse Peoples’ Alliance of Ontario.
The HPAO believes that ‘the horse people of Ontario need to empower their advocacy and representation with the government and the racetracks by at last joining together horse people of all breeds to meet their common challenges.’
“The purpose of this Alliance is not to replace any of the existing organizations, and they must continue to serve fully the interests of their membership,” said Toronto lawyer Frank Roth. “The time has come, however, for the Ontario government to hear directly from the horse people as to the realities they face, and for the racetracks to share decision making and revenue with those who have made the industry world class.”
The Alliance stands for the following principles:
• Inform the government of Ontario as to the real industry facts from the perspective of horse people as to the difficulties and uncertainties under which they work.
• Ensure that the government fulfills its obligations toward funding, transparency and accountability within the industry.
• Empower horse people to be recognized as an essential and necessary element for horse racing equal to the racetracks.
• Secure a position of equal importance with the racetracks in the decisions as to the nature and conditions of racing.
• Return to a balanced and fair sharing of the revenues generated or provided to allow for the growth of the Ontario horse population and the incentives to own and train racehorses as once existed.
For more information, visit www.OntarioHorsePeople.com.